2011 Bastille Day 8K Run Recap

I did  it I did it I DID IT!

I completed my very first *ever* race! And successfully, may I add.

It all started with an intended walk with my mom around a local lake that suddenly transformed into a run. 2.5 miles later I was hooked on running. I ran the following two days (making it 3 days in a row that I ran) and immediately knew that I wanted to sign up and run an actual race.

(You can read my brief running story here)

About a week later, I met up with a friend and randomly expressed my desire to run a race. She looked at me with bright, excited eyes and told me she would totally join!

A few days later we registered for the Bastille Day 8k Run/Walk to be held on Thursday, July 14th. Initially, we were going to run the 5k, but I worked my convincing magic and we ultimately chose the 8k distance. I wanted something that would be challenging but not deadly, and figured that 5 miles (vs. 3 miles) would be perfect.

And it was.

The race was at 7:15 PM (I initially thought it was in the AM!!!) so I spent the day properly fueling and prepping my body.

Breakfast: mango/red current buckwheat bake

These bad boys have quickly become my favorite breakfast EVER! Everyone has their staple breakfast meal, and this one is definitely mine.

Lunch: Healthwich! with avocado, spinach, kale, tomatoes, cucumber, sauteed garlic and onions, and hummus on Ezekiel bread

Pickled garlic on the side!

Dessert was some Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice tea with a dark chocolate (85%) square

I’ve tried many many different brands of dark chocolate and my favorite by far is Valrhona 85% dark chocolate bar. The only place I have ever seen it is at Trader Joe’s. Yup, Whole Foods let me down on this one.

I also went shopping and bought a new pair of adorable running shorts that I ended up wearing for the race. They were a total steal for $14.99 at TJ Maxx!

…I totally laid out my outfit like an excited child the night before the first day of school

Black and pink…hmmm that color scheme looks familiar huh…

I’m a creature of habit, what can I say! (Exhibit 1= buckwheat bakes daily)

About 2 hours before the race I ate some potato salad and 1 massive date for energy. I also made 2 green smoothies (spinach, banana, mango, flax seed and coconut water)- one for my fab running partner and one for meeee.

I also picked up our bibs and free t-shirts:

Isn’t it adorable?!? The material is thin and soft and the overall quality of the shirt is surprisingly very nice.

My first ever bib! Not gonna lie…I felt so cool!

I’m obviously PUMPED!

(wish I wore make-up though…)

Standing at the start line was exhilarating! The atmosphere was filled with eagerness and excitement, and I felt it through my body like a powerful energy.

Aaaaannd we’re off!

Isn’t the view beautiful? The surroundings made the run pass by quickly. The weather was also pure perfection and I firmly believe that it helped me run the fastest I ever have! But more on that later…

Now for the brief recap:

The first mile flew by! I was feeling the adrenaline and loved every second of running. It was very difficult to maintain my planned pace (around 10min/mile) with everyone passing by me. I completely understand now why people tend to run too fast at the beginning…sometimes you can’t help it!

The second mile came and went. I was running at a much faster pace (9:30min/mile) than planned, but I was feeling fantastic and felt that it was appropriate. Ultimately, I ended up maintaining that pace for the entire race.

Mile 3 was when I started feeling the effects of the quicker pace. In other words, my legs started to get tired! No problem though…I kept pushing forward with a “smile” on my face.

Once I hit mile 4, excitement shot through me as I realized that the race was nearing completion. I ended up sprinting once I hit 4.5 miles and despite feeling a bit woozy and dizzy with heartburn creeping up, I ran ran ran until I saw the finish line.

It was then that I saw my mom and sister! Oh it was glorious! I even had energy to smile and give a thumbs up for the camera.

And then I crossed the finish line and it was all over

Glory. Pure glory.

Final time: 46:35! (9:24min/mile average pace)
Place: 717/1412
Age Division: 29/59

My splits:
Mile 1: 9:28 min/mile
Mile 2: 9:34 min/mile
Mile 3: 9:20 min/mile
Mile 4: 9:21 min/mile
Mile 5: 8:46 min/mile

Not too shabby for a runner of only about 2 months! I was incredibly proud of myself…it was the fastest I have ever consecutively run!

Woot Woot!

I wish we received a medal for completing the race, but instead we got cupcakes:

I didn’t try one (sweets after running= EW), but my mom told me they were yummilicious.

Thumbs up for my newly-reinforced running addiction!

Don’t worry…I’m already hunting for my next race(s)!

♥ Irina