Frames From The Weekend 7/13/2012 – 7/15/2012

Sorry for disappearing this past week. It was a busy one! I worked in downtown Chicago all week and long work days combined with the long-ish commute via the Metra resulted in my arrival at home around 8pm daily. Rough but I would take downtown Chicago over crappy cornfields any day!

This past weekend was like all the other ones. I think it’s time I move out to the city because I swear I become more and more anti-social daily while in suburbia. Anyway, check out some frames from this past weekend…

(Quick Friday afternoon shopping trip to HomeGoods“I shop therefore I am” ← ain’t that the truth!)

(Friday night housewarming party with my favorite ladies. Tequila, gum balls, and board games were involved…)

(Weekend breakfasts: the perfect bowl of oats, choco-cherry microwave buckwheat bake, homemade whole wheat crepes filled with fresh figs and sunflower seed butter)

(Weekly trip to Whole Foods: new loofa + lemon soap, goodies on the check-out line, the greatest freshly baked whole wheat bread ever, a beautiful post-storm rainbow)

(Mid-Saturday FroYo craving: I brought it home with kiwi as the only purchased topping and added more toppings myself! Chocolate chips, mango, blueberries, and coconut)

(The perfect way to end a lazy Saturday: a beautiful pink/red sunset while taking a 2 mile walk with mom. My mom is starting to slowly run with me!)

(A quick pit-stop to R.E.I: trying on new shoes for a replacement, salt pills + blister guards + foot massage ball)

(Disastrous Sunday morning – our laundry machine overflowed!)

(Don’t be surprised by this one…two batches of Happy Trails Adventure Cookies! I’m clearly obsessed)

(Sunday night food: grilling veggies and veggie sausages, portobello mushroom open-faced sandwich, post-5-miler green smoothie with kale and spirulina, strawberry Trawffles!)

Happy Monday! I’m working out of our Chicago office again this week and am ecstatic about it. It’s truly amazing what three weeks away from the cornfields can do for one’s well-being.

1. July 16, 2012 / 11:27 am

Love that shopping sign lol! That is def so me. Since it’s been getting so hot, I’ve been craving froyo like no tomorrow. I’m seriously so addicted.

2. July 16, 2012 / 1:02 pm

Yay for working downtown! Gorgeous pictures, as always – especially the ones of the froyo, sunset, and rainbow. Sorry to hear about the laundry machine debacle, those are the worst! Hopefully it didn’t cause too much damage. =(

Did you pick out any new running shoes at REI? Please post on how you like those toe caps once you’ve had a chance to try them. I fear that I’ll be getting some black toenails soon, so any preventitive measures would be really helpful. Thanks!

• July 17, 2012 / 9:07 pm

The damage is still TBD…hopefully it won’t be too bad though!

I tried the toe guards the other day and while they worked wonders on the toes they were on, one toe guard gave me a blister on the toe that was next to it. Sorry kind of confusing, but basically my suggestion would be to possibly wear one toe guard on each toe – there are 4 in a pack and I plan to buy another pack and wear one on each toe except for the big toe. Wow I just said toe like 10 times in one sentence 🙂 But for the record – the toe guards are soft and made of gel-like material and they are reusable…give them a try!

• July 22, 2012 / 4:21 pm

UPDATE – Don’t buy the toe caps…they destroyed my toes during the half marathon and I returned them today!! Apparently they help if you have a blister but don’t help in preventing them. NOT worth the $13 price tag

3. July 17, 2012 / 12:01 am

I totally don’t blame you- being in big cities is so much fun. I’ve never been much of a suburban-gal! I’ve never been to Chicago but it’s definitely on my list of places I want to visit.
    Have you tried the toe caps before?! I hate getting black toenails (and currently have them!) and would invest in those in a heartbeat if they work!

• July 17, 2012 / 9:13 pm

Yes you definitely need to visit Chicago! I would say it’s an underrated city and most people overlook it as a must-see. I tried the toe caps a few days ago and really liked them. They are soft, gel-like, and reusable. However, the toe guard rubbed against and blistered the (unguarded) toe next to it. I plan on buying another pack (there are 4 guards in a pack) and wearing the toe guards on every small toe to prevent this in the future! Overall, I would definitely suggest giving them a try…it’s worth it to prevent a black toenail.

• July 22, 2012 / 4:24 pm