Rushin’ To Russia

Just a few more hours until I set flight to Mother Russia! It’s crazy. I haven’t been back since 2004 when I was just a wee little 15 year old. My heart is overwhelmed with joy and worry for the trip. We are spending 1 week in Saint Petersburg as tourists (I’ve never been!), and then we head off to Moscow by train while my sister flies to Italy for a week since she was in Moscow just a few months ago.

I just started packing last night and will likely continue the process up until the moment we leave for the airport. I’m queen of over-packing and my newest goal is to actually have a suitcase that weighs less than me. Two weeks isn’t that long, right? One would think that I would be good at packing by now since I travel often for work, but that is actually quite far from the truth. I am improving though…I swear!

On that note, my room is currently in a state of disaster. The perfectionist inside me weeps every time I lay eyes on this:

All complaining and whining aside, I feel so lucky to finally be returning to my roots. I’m convinced that the emotional flood I’ll experience the moment my five senses are greeted by Russia will lead me to tears. I wish I was kidding. I was a child, a bored and unappreciative teenager, last time Russia and I spent time together.

This time around my gut tells me things will be different. I have an odd feeling surrounding this trip; there’s an eery sense of finality in it, not in a depressing/creepy sort of way but more of a revelatory I-found-the-missing-piece-to-the-puzzle way. It’s unsettling. I’ve had a powerful calling to return to Russia since junior year of college, and I cannot wait to see what it’s all about. Maybe this trip will be life-changing and maybe it won’t be, but my Russian roots need some watering regardless. It’s complicated and emotionally heavy so just nod your head and pretend to understand.

With that said, I will put the blogging world aside for the next 2 weeks as I spend every second of the trip nourishing my soul. It won’t necessarily be by choice though – I’ll have extremely limited internet access anyway!

Before I go though, I want to show you my celebratory mani & pedi from last night:

No-chip mani and a much-needed pedi. Notice the names of the colors? Representing Russia!

Goodbye for now my lovely ladies! Good luck to all of you with anything and everything you are currently working towards and don’t forget about little old me. Be prepared for photo overload upon my return to the states!

1. August 11, 2012 / 8:32 am

wow this trip sounds amazing and I am glad you get to do it. yay!

2. August 11, 2012 / 9:10 am

HAVE FUN! I can’t wait to read about your experiences when you get back!

3. August 11, 2012 / 2:34 pm

Tee hee I was just going to comment about how much I loved your nails in the first shot and then you went into chatting about them. Have fun!

4. August 11, 2012 / 3:05 pm

Good luck on your journey! I hope you find what you’re looking for. It sounds like an amazing opportunity.

5. August 11, 2012 / 4:24 pm

Have a great trip 🙂

6. August 11, 2012 / 11:47 pm

I’m SO excited for you! You’re going to have an amazing time and I can’t wait to hear all about it.
    Don’t you LOVE gel manicures?! I’m obsessed. I love the colors you chose!

And I’m the exact same way with packing. It’s ridiculous! My bags alwaaays go over the weight limit. But, a girls gotta have options, right?! (:

7. August 12, 2012 / 9:58 am

I love your mani/pedi colors! I’m desperately in need of both! Have a lovely trip!

8. August 17, 2012 / 12:48 pm

OMG. I’ve always wanted to go to Russia! I should have known you were Russian…no wonder you’re so beautiful. Enjoy your trip, Irina!

9. August 19, 2012 / 12:14 pm

Travel safe!!! I cannot wait to hear all the details from your adventures, and see all of your pictures. You are going to have the most amazing time!!!

Love love LOVE the celebratory mani/pedi and the colors you selected. So clever!!!

And by the way – I do understand what you are talking about with needing to water your roots. I went to China for the first time right when I graduated from college. It was such an incredible awakening of my personal identity to see my homeland. I wish you a fabulous plethora of self-discovery while you are there!

10. August 21, 2012 / 7:48 pm

Wow, the trip sounds like it will be a blast :)! Have fun :D!