Guess Who’s Back?

If you don’t know the answer, then shame on you. I’m back with a new outlook on life and a serious sugar addiction. Russia was so many things – amazing, beautiful, eye-opening, stressful, sad…the list goes on and on. I plan to do a series of posts (only a few – I promise I won’t bombard you with 2498920352 posts) on the trip so stay tuned!

For now let’s discuss the many things I missed while traveling. Umm MY CAT obviously.

What else? The food in Russia was often times glorious and fulfilling, but near the end I missed my usual eats a lot! Buckwheat pancakes, steamy oatmeal topped with organic berries and nut butter (oh mah gawd how I missed sunflower seed and almond butter), fresh veggies, greek yogurt, good coffee, and salads! Oh how I missed crisp green salads.

(recycled photo of a lovely green salad from a few weeks ago)

Something else I missed while traveling abroad? Running. You guys, I literally thought about running every.single.day. We walked miles upon miles during the 14 days in Russia, but my legs wanted more. My thoughts often sounded a bit like this: “I would love to run here” and “this is the perfect place and weather for a quick run“. I was clearly deprived.

Yesterday, my wish was granted.

In fact, two of my wishes were granted! I’ve always wanted to run in the rain and the weather finally permitted it. In all honesty, the 2 mile run was challenging especially ater five weeks of basically no running (I took time off after my half marathon and then went to Russia). However, the run reminded me how much I actually enjoy running. I can’t wait to make it a habit again!

I also missed the cleanliness and fresh air here in the U.S. Russian air was very polluted and literally stuffed my nose with dirt.

(old photo from one of my favorite running spots)

Lets not forget another major thing I missed…the blog world! I actually managed to keep up with blog-reading with the limited internet access I had. What I didn’t have time for was actual blogging and commenting, and it feels great to start posting again. I missed you all!

That’s all I’ll write about Russia for now. I’ll leave the rest for future dedicated posts. I’m going to leave you with the obligatory I-freaking-hate-Mondays-and-today-is-even-worse-because-I-just-returned-from-vacation-and-have-to-drive-to-the-cornfields-for-the-work-weekΒ complaint. On the bright side of things, I’m so grateful for having the amazing opportunity to take two weeks from work to travel back to my homeland. Life is beautiful.

Here’s to a great start to the week!

What do you usually miss most when traveling?

β™₯ Irina

1. August 27, 2012 / 7:25 am

It sounds like you had an amazing time! I went to Europe this summer and LOVED it! I normally miss my daily routine by the time vacation comes to an end, Cooking in my own kitchen, making tea, working out, sleeping in my own bed. The normal things we sometimes take for granted.

• August 27, 2012 / 9:11 pm

Yes it was amazing! And too short πŸ™ Europe is beautiful right? So different from the U.S. But of course, home is where the heart is πŸ™‚

2. August 27, 2012 / 8:01 am

I miss the routine of daily life! I thrive on it. πŸ™‚

• August 27, 2012 / 9:12 pm

Agreed 100%. Traveling is great but I start missing the consistency of routine life fairly quickly!

3. August 27, 2012 / 9:08 am

Welcome back! I can’t wait to hear all about your trip.

• August 27, 2012 / 9:12 pm

Thanks! It’s good to be back πŸ™‚

4. August 27, 2012 / 10:51 am

returning from vacation is rough! hang in there. can’t wait to hear more.

• August 27, 2012 / 9:12 pm

Ha yes it is. I was so sad at work today πŸ™ Oh well…life goes on!

5. August 27, 2012 / 11:49 am

Welcome back! I love traveling but I miss the comforts of home when I’m gone too long, too. Can’t wait to hear all about your adventures in Russia!

• August 27, 2012 / 9:13 pm

I feel the same way! Traveling is an important part of my life but I start missing my routine fairly quickly.

6. August 27, 2012 / 5:52 pm

Happy to see you back πŸ™‚ I’m glad you enjoyed yourself but it’s only natural you missed the regular life. Can’t wait to hear all about your trip!

• August 27, 2012 / 9:14 pm

Thanks! I’m happy to be back πŸ™‚

7. August 27, 2012 / 9:35 pm

Yay! Welcome back, pretty lady! It sounds like you had an amazing time in Russia and I can wait for your recap posts.
    I can totally relate to missing my (somewhat) normal eating/exercise routine when I’m away on vacation. The change is nice for a few days but then my body starts to crave it’s routine. I’m glad you made the most of it though!

xoxo

• August 28, 2012 / 8:45 pm

Agreed! People love routines and I am no exception! It feels great to have access to such a huge variety of fruits and veggies πŸ™‚

8. August 28, 2012 / 9:32 am

It sounds like you had a great time!

I can definitely understand missing salads in Russia. I spent a winter there and access to fresh fruits and vegetables is not something I’ll take for granted again. (I’m guessing it’s better in the summer, but while things had improved when my family left in May/June, it still wasn’t like being in the States or Western Europe.) The pollution thing also falls into the category of not-to-be-taken-for-granted for me. I think I had more colds in six months there than I have in the last three years in the West!

• August 28, 2012 / 8:55 pm

Hi Jordan! Thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚

I think it’s great that you spent time in Russia. It’s difficult to understand the country (it’s quite different from Western Europe as you said) without spending a prolonged period of time there. It’s interesting though because I complained about the lack of my usual fruits and veggie eats but then realized that isn’t the limited food availability technically what “seasonal eating” is all about? Anyway, the trip definitely taught me that I should never take fresh air and food availability for-granted ever again!

9. August 28, 2012 / 10:38 am

Welcome back!! I can’t wait to see your recap posts! I’ve never been to Russia but I had a friend who studied abroad there and found it fascinating.

Isn’t it funny how different life as a runner is? I think you see the world differently somehow.

• August 28, 2012 / 8:56 pm

Thanks! Running definitely changed the way I view the world! I noticed this too while in Russia and I kind of like it πŸ™‚

10. August 28, 2012 / 5:24 pm

Welcome back! I can’t wait for the recaps πŸ™‚

• August 28, 2012 / 8:57 pm

Thanks! It feels great to be back

11. August 29, 2012 / 6:34 am

I always miss my “routine”. Whether that be eats or exercise, it’s hard for me to stay out of that comfort zone overly long.

Glad you had a great time! And good luck getting back to normalcy. πŸ˜‰

• August 31, 2012 / 10:39 am

Agreed! It wasn’t too hard to get back into routine…I embraced it with wide open arms haha

12. August 29, 2012 / 8:12 pm

I was just thinking about you and I’m glad you are back! I love the fun of traveling but must say, I’m def a routine girl at heart!

• August 31, 2012 / 10:40 am

Thanks for not forgetting about me πŸ™‚