Frames From The Weekend 10/26/2012 – 10/28/2012

While I didn’t celebrate Halloween for the second year in a row, I did have a great weekend filled with friends, family, and even costumes!

{Four words: slow cooker apple butter. Delicious!}

{Grocery shopping! The peanut butter Arctic Zero is nasty! My mom and I went to Costco for a jumbo bag of almonds, Whole Foods for basics, and REI for a CamelBak (LOVE) and java packets which I haven’t sampled yet.}

{I finally ordered Injini socks thanks to Maggie’s recommendation. I can’t believe I’ve been running without these for so long! My toes are very close together and these toe socks will help prevent painful blisters and fugly toenails.}

{Friday night food session: I made these rice crispies treats}

{Weekend breakfast highlights: coffee with frothy almond milk, buckwheat bake (recipe coming soon I promise!), and waffles.}

{Pink superwoman at Saturday’s Halloween Hustle 5K. It was an amazing race that ended with a PR! Recap coming this week.}

{Pumpkin carving! We bought a massive organic pumpkin a few weeks ago and I finally got around to chopping it up on Saturday.}

{I voted!}

{Quick shopping trip on Sunday with mom for necessities: a new waffle maker, a donut pan, sticker letters for a small project I need to finish, a ring holder, and a new bracelet.}

{Sunday’s pumpkin cooking session (clockwise from top left): oven-roasted pumpkin, roasted pumpkin seeds, vegan pumpkin donuts,Β pumpkin milletΒ porridge (made with real milk and sugar), pumpkin puree from roasted pumpkin.}

{There’s nothing like good conversation over tea with my best friend. We haven’t seen each other in way too many weeks and it was time for a reunion. We also spent a few hours driving around, shopping, and getting manicures. Thumbs up for anyone who can spot something…odd…in the photo of the car!}

On a final note – all you East-coasters out there stay safe!!! I hope the storm passes with no troubles.

Did you celebrate Halloween? What was your costume?

Have you ever used a pumpkin for anything other than carving?

β™₯ Irina

1. October 29, 2012 / 6:38 am

I baked my first pumpkin this weekend!!! it was so good! Now you have me wanting to make apple butter for the 1st time!

• October 30, 2012 / 9:16 pm

Very nice! How did you end up eating it? And you should definitely make apple butter while apples are in season!

• October 31, 2012 / 6:20 am

Well I stuffed 1/3 as a little pumpkin bucket with ricotta, brussels sprouts, honey, and walnuts. and I had it with a little chicken! the other bit I had as a quick easy meal last night! a sweet banana and cinnamon/pumpkin spice omelet with a side of pumpkin with cut up banana, roasted pumpkin seeds, cinnamon laughing cow cheese, and almond butter! Sweet tooth nutritionally satisfied!

• October 31, 2012 / 10:31 pm

It all sounds amazing! Especially the pumpkin spice omelet…please post the recipe!

• October 30, 2012 / 9:16 pm

Thanks! It was all about Fall and the Fall holidays πŸ™‚

2. October 29, 2012 / 8:19 am

holy moses all of your eats just make me super jealous!

• October 30, 2012 / 9:18 pm

You should buy a huge pumpkin and make many meals out of it! It’s so versatile.

3. October 29, 2012 / 9:42 am

That looks like such a fun weekend and nom for that food. Love that constume!

• October 30, 2012 / 9:22 pm

Thanks! Pink and sparkly is always a good combo πŸ™‚

4. October 29, 2012 / 9:44 am

You always do so much every weekend!!! πŸ™‚

When I saw your Camelbak mention I was thinking backpack, until I saw the bottle. LOL! πŸ™‚

I ordered some injinji socks for some girlfriends for the holidays! A few of my friends swear by them too! I have never tried them!

• October 30, 2012 / 9:23 pm

Haha I can just picture myself lugging a Camelbak backpack to work. My coworkers would love me. And you must try Injinji socks! I may never go back to regular socks…

5. October 29, 2012 / 11:51 am

I could only think of 4 words while reading your post: slow.cooker.apple.butter 😯 Well that and, as always, how many fun and delicious things you do/make every weekend. I love your costume to the Hustle, and I can’t wait to hear about how you did! I didn’t dress up or do anything too fun this weekend because of the nasty weather that we’ve been hit with, but I did manage to have an impromptu coffee date with a gorgeous guy that I met at Starbucks. Numbers were exchanged and I can’t wait to see where it goes πŸ˜€

• October 30, 2012 / 9:27 pm

Umm I’m pretty sure your weekend trumps mine πŸ˜‰ You better keep me posted on this gorgeous guy…*fingers crossed* that it will be a fairly tale come true πŸ™‚

6. October 29, 2012 / 2:41 pm

YAY you finally got a donut pan! πŸ™‚ You’ll like it, I bet! I like mine! I have to make something new with it already, I’ve only used it twice so far.. but I definitely think it’s an awesome thing to have.

I’m totally checking out the rice crispies, yours look delicious! & I love gala apples but I’ve never made apple butter— so cool! I need a slow cooker.

• October 30, 2012 / 9:29 pm

I am already in love with the donut pan! There are so many recipes I want to make…it’s like a whole new world of baking for me πŸ™‚

7. October 29, 2012 / 2:49 pm

The PBC Artic Zero is not their best flavor! I’m a fan of the Coffee flavored one…soooo good! πŸ™‚

You look so cute in your superwoman outfit! Anxious for the recap πŸ˜€

• October 30, 2012 / 9:28 pm

I haven’t seen the coffee flavor at any WF stores yet but will continue searching for it! The only flavor I like so far is Cookies and Cream.

8. October 29, 2012 / 3:56 pm

Glad you like the Injinjis!!!

• October 29, 2012 / 8:50 pm

One word: amazing! I can’t wait to try them for longer distances. Hopefully they won’t cause any problems.

9. November 2, 2012 / 7:57 pm

So much good looking food! It looks like it was great weekend! The only thing I did for Halloween was work and watch Hocus Pocus.

• November 4, 2012 / 9:34 pm

Ha sounds like a good Halloween to me! Other than work of course but I had to do that too… πŸ™