Small Steps Towards Big Changes

My thoughts are with all those affected by Sandy and those who have lost loved ones to the storm. Stay safe!! We are praying for you. Please donate towards relief efforts here…every bit helps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you ever feel like you’re missing out on life? You’re sitting in place (literally and figuratively) while the rest of the world zooms by? The feeling is especially strong on days that literally dangle the beauty of life right in front of you, begging you to chase after it because it’s always in your reach…if you’re willing to stretch a little to grasp it.

I’m tired of not living my life. I’m tired of being afraid to take chances, risks, and spur-of-the-moment trips. I’m tired of my routine. I’m tired of being anti-social every weekend. I’m tired of being stagnant in all aspects of my life. I’m tired of being tired.

I am 24 years old. I have minimal obligations, both monetarily and personally. I have a career that allows me to invest in my dreams and desires. I have the means to take the adventures I dream about daily. I have the mind to navigate through whatever life throws at me, and the courage to do so solo.

Life is too short to hover over the “Confirm Booking” button before moving the arrow to the X at the top of the page in fear and defeat. I want to start living the life I envision myself having in the future. The future is now (or never). I refuse to let my fears weigh me down. If I’m afraid now, I’ll always be afraid.

Last Thursday I did something a little wild, for me at least. I’m a planner and a routine junkie, and spontaneity is not really part of my vocabulary. I wavered over the decision for what felt like hours (it was actually about 1 hour). Eventually, I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to make a choice and so I did.

It’s pathetic how nervous I was booking this trip. My heart raced faster than it does for major presentations with clients. My mind sprinted from thought to thought. Where will I stay? What will I do? Am I doing the right thing? As of now I’m going to be all by my lonesome, although my sister is considering joining in on the East coast fun.

So why the impromptu weekend getaway booking?

(Dominican Republic December 2011)

Because I can! Life shouldn’t be complicated by such small decisions anyway.

Fingers crossed that all will be resolved by this time in NYC! Anyone want to meet up for lunch in Manhattan on Saturday, November 17th?

P.S. – Happy Halloween! I’m not celebrating because I have to drive down to the cornfields for the night. Bummer…but there are worse things in life. Turn on the TV and see for yourself.

Have you ever taken an impromptu trip?

How to you feel about traveling solo?

1. October 31, 2012 / 7:39 am

OMG! You are going to have a blast! I love NYC. I need to get there again soon it has been too long!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:05 am

Ahh thanks, it’s going to be my first time ever visiting the city!

2. October 31, 2012 / 8:22 am

This is so awesome!!! I’m absolutely awful at being spontaneous. But, whenever I am it’s worth it. You are going to have so much fun!!!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:06 am

Thanks!! I’m awful at it too but am trying to take small steps to be more flexible in life! I guess this is a good first step…

• November 2, 2012 / 12:07 am

Thanks! But this also means that there will be no run for us on the 17th 🙁 We NEED to make it happen before the year ends!

3. October 31, 2012 / 10:12 am

So sad, you come to NY as I leave it. BOOOOO. Have fun though friend!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:08 am

Aw bad timing! That just means that you should come visit Chicago one day 🙂

4. October 31, 2012 / 11:00 am

You should totally come to book club…I’m hosting this time and you will meet a lot of great girls! COME! You know you want to!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:08 am

I DO want to! It’s gonna happen…I know it 🙂

5. October 31, 2012 / 11:04 am

congrats, these kind of things are super hard for me to do as well so I give you so much credit. have a freaking blast

• November 2, 2012 / 12:09 am

It was really tough for me too, but I felt so much calmer after officially making the decision. Small steps!

6. October 31, 2012 / 1:15 pm

!! While I’m incredibly saddened by the fact that you didn’t book a trip to Alberta to come see me, I’m so happy and excited for your spontaneous trip to NYC! Omigosh you are going to have a BLAST! I haven’t been there since I was little, and I would kill to go again! If tickets from here wouldn’t cost me an arm, a leg, and my left kidney, I’d be hopping on a plane in a heartbeat. As it stands, I have to wait until December for when I go to Vegas. But seriously, it’s things like this that make the best memories, and I absolutely cannot WAIT to see how your trip plays out. Eeee!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:12 am

Hmmm well maybe Canada is next on the travel itinerary! I haven’t been there in over a decade so I’m long overdue 🙂 I’ve actually never been to NYC so I’m anxious to explore as much of the city as I can in a span of 1.5 days. Challenge accepted!

You are going to have so much fun in Vegas!! Have you ever been there? I went this past summer with two friends and it was wild. Absolutely wild and amazing. Are you going with friends or family?

7. October 31, 2012 / 5:47 pm

Ahh that is awesome that you just went for it! Hopefully things are calmed down by then in NYC. Keep allowing yourself to do these things and it will get easier. I’m in the same spot too, my fear and introversion keeps me from doing many things I could or would wanna do. I’m trying to be more out there though now.

• November 2, 2012 / 12:14 am

Oh it took a lot of mental convincing to actually book the flight. It was all so nerve-wrecking but now I feel calm and excited 🙂 The first step is always the hardest! So whatever you’re currently considering – just go for it! Regrets are the worst and I knew that if I wouldn’t make the reservation I would regret it.

8. October 31, 2012 / 8:30 pm

Yay for spontaneity if it means FUN. The only better thing I could think of is if you went to NYC during the holiday season…it would be so pretty :D!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:15 am

Yes that would be amazing! Unfortunately I didn’t have too much time to think it all through and just stressed over whether I should go or not. I’m so glad I clicked the ‘Confirm’ button…this is going to be the first time I ever visit NYC!

• November 2, 2012 / 12:15 am