Frames From The Weekend 11/2/2012 – 11/4/2012

First of all, thank you so much for all the kind words on my Halloween Hustle 5K post! I still smile just thinking about the race, and it’s keeping my running motivation high.

Second, I sort of forgot to mention that I went away to Michigan this weekend with my mom and sister. To be fair, it totally snuck up on me! Stay tuned for a full recap later this week, but for now enjoy some frames from this entire weekend!

{I finally got around to visiting a chiropractor for the random pains I experience while running. Technically, this happened on Thursday but I thought I should include it anyway. I also tried a new bar while driving over and loved it! Everyone seriously needs to try this Two Degrees chocolate-banana bar at one point in life.}

{Waffle FAIL! I finally got around to trying my new waffle maker and it let me down. I’m bummed but the breakfast was still tasty! I created an almond butter “dip” and ate with my hands…always fun and classy…}

{Our Michigan adventure started with a beautiful sunset over the lake.}

{You guys…I finally finished Anna Karenina!!! It’s unreal, I can’t even believe it! It was a beautiful book and I’m still gathering my thoughts on it. I almost wish I read it with a book club or a friend so I could discuss every chapter. However, I now have the liberty to read whatever I please, and Mile Markers is up first!}

{Sunday evening cooking session: rutabaga (so nasty…I ended up throwing it out), spaghetti squash, and coconut curry}

{Baking: lemon poppyseed donuts (I still need to perfect the recipe before posting) and rice crispy treats. Nothing shows I spent quality time in the kitchen like a massive pile of dishes!}

Based on this weekend recap it seems that I failed on the food front – nasty rutabaga, dry donuts, and ugly waffles were the main attractions. Lame!

What cooking/baking fails have you recently had? Please share and make me feel better!

1. Faith
    November 5, 2012 / 8:13 am

Rutabaga IS grossssss…but the coconut curry looks like it made up for it! Thai food is always a good option 😉

• November 9, 2012 / 1:11 pm

Oh my gosh it was disgusting. I wonder if they all taste like that? How do people eat it? I’m so confused…

2. November 5, 2012 / 10:06 am

Lemon poppyseed is my favorite. I could eat sort of lemmony and poppyseed type things…from muffins to pancakes to everything. So good! I cannot wait to see the recipe!

• November 9, 2012 / 1:12 pm

I know! I adore the lemon poppyseed combo too, but these donuts were super dry, although I obviously still ate them because the taste was delicious!

3. November 5, 2012 / 10:37 am

I haven’t been cooking much lately, which itself is a fail. Unless frozen pizza counts.

• November 9, 2012 / 1:12 pm

Anything that makes you turn on your oven (frozen pizza including) is a win 🙂

4. November 5, 2012 / 10:50 am

gosh look at all that amazing cooking, couldn’t be more jealous over here!

• November 9, 2012 / 1:13 pm

Thanks! Don’t be jealous…I had many flops in the kitchen this weekend 🙁

5. November 5, 2012 / 10:58 am

Even with the baking fails, at least you are doing it and know what mistakes not to make again!
    To make you feel better… I recently baked cake pops that ended up dry and not even a little bit sweet. I also burned a frozen pizza to a crisp. Talk about a cooking fail.

• November 9, 2012 / 1:36 pm

Haha yea I’m still trying to figure out my mistakes! Cake pops sound very challenging so at least you were brave enough to try 🙂

6. November 5, 2012 / 2:00 pm

I can’t wait to hear about your trip to Michigan!

Also, I’ve never tried rutabaga. What did it taste like?

• November 9, 2012 / 1:40 pm

It tasted like death in my mouth. Kidding…kind of…it had a very sharp taste, almost reminiscent of horseradish. Maybe I bought a bad one or didn’t bake it properly? Who knows! But people do eat it and enjoy it so maybe it’s just me.

7. November 5, 2012 / 3:34 pm

Aw, don’t worry about the kitchen fails! They happen to all of us and I think neither bagels nor rutabaga seem easy to prepare. Looking at all of the delicious recipes you’ve posted so far you shouldn’t feel bad for a few fails.

My most recent fail were some not-quite proper pancakes – and I served them to a friend, too. I hope my next ones will be better.

• November 9, 2012 / 1:41 pm

Oh I’m always so nervous to serve my food to friends! I want them to be honest but sometimes I think they’re just being nice when they say they like something. That’s why it’s just best to use your family as taste-testers 🙂

• November 9, 2012 / 1:41 pm

Haha yes! My oven bakes unevenly so all my baking fails are because of that…right? Haha

8. November 5, 2012 / 4:03 pm

Mile Markers looks like an interesting book! I’ve been reading a lot on running lately—it’s good motivation to get out there and RUN.

• November 9, 2012 / 1:42 pm

You should subscribe to Runner’s World! I just subscribed and received my first two magazines. Let me just tell you…it’s a dream come true! An entire magazine dedicated to all things running – clothes, food, exercise, etc. etc.

9. November 5, 2012 / 9:19 pm

Gorgeous pics by the water… and that waffle fail haha I was wondering what that was when I looked at it! It looked like some sort of meat at first haha it’s okay, as long as it tasted good, right? Or decent. lol

I actually had a baking fail just last night. I prepared a cheesecake recipe, adapted and all, and sent the list of things to buy to my mom a few days beforehand so she had time to find stuff. One of these things, the main ingredient, was dulce de leche… so she bought sweetened condensed milk and didn’t tell me until it was time to put it in. I was stunned that SHE thought it was the same thing as dulce de leche when she was the one that taught me how to MAKE dulce de leche out of the sweetened condensed milk… smh. We dropped everything and went to Jewel, Walmart, and a local Italian grocery to find dulce de leche.. to no avail. Nope, we didn’t find any. So we ended up adapting the recipe further, added sweetened condensed milk and some pumpkin and baked the cheesecake. I didn’t stay the night and they were the ones that were able to try it the next day. The cheesecake took over an hour and half to bake and they said it wasn’t half bad but it was just much more… creamy (as in a spreadable cheese creamy) than solid. SO yeah. Not bad, I guess, but I couldn’t vouch for the results. I was pretty disappointed by the fail.

• November 9, 2012 / 1:47 pm

Haha oh no! Making dulce de leche from sweetened condensed milk used to be one of my favorite “Russian” (my grandpa taught me in Russia) desserts. You should’ve just made dulce de leche from the condensed milk! Or was the can open already? It happens though so don’t feel bad because It’s all part of the experience! That just means that you need to try making the cheesecake again, obviously 🙂

Last Thanksgiving I wanted to make pumpkin pie and ended up using 2 CANS of pumpkin instead of 2 CUPS. Needless to say, it was a fail!

10. November 5, 2012 / 9:45 pm

So I cannot wait for you to perfect the lemon poppyseed doughnuts because I have never had lemon poppyseed anything and I am determined to try them!

• November 9, 2012 / 1:43 pm

Ahh I hope to get the recipe right this weekend or next. They tasted great but came out so dense and dry! Baking was never my forte…

11. November 5, 2012 / 11:28 pm

Oh wow that’s a pretty legitimate pile of dishes! Sorry to hear that none of the recipes worked out, though. BUT! the act of baking is pretty darned satisfying itself, right? I mean, of course it’s always nice to be able to enjoy something delicious fresh out of the oven, but baking is pretty darned wonderful as well. That being said, it’s been way too long since I’ve baked anything and that has to change stat.

• November 9, 2012 / 1:50 pm

Yes, baking is definitely good for the soul 🙂 While I still ended up eating all of my fails (I die if food goes to waste…it hurts my heart!), I’m still determined to figure out these recipes!

12. November 8, 2012 / 10:43 am

Yay! I’m so glad you finished Anna Karenina! Isn’t it a great story? And you finished it just in time for the new movie!

• November 9, 2012 / 12:50 pm

Yes, the movie was my motivation to finish the book! I’m looking forward to see how they adapted the movie to the book, especially while the story is still fresh in my mind.