Sky High

Today is the big day! As this is posted, I’m jet-setting on my way to NYC for the weekend. The plan is simple: I arrive around 9am EST, work from our Manhattan office and then check into my hotel and enjoy the weekend in a brand new city!

But let’s back up a bit. My plans changed around since I spontaneously bought the plane tickets. While I was looking forward to riding solo in the city that never sleeps, I decided that it would be a shame to waste all my hard-earned hotel points on a nice hotel…for myself. How silly. With my whole life in front of me and many more years of adolescent travel, I decided to invite along my family to share the experience and the free hotel stay smack-dab in the middle of the Upper East Side. Once in a lifetime, ya know?

(source)

Ultimately, only my mom went for the bait so it looks like we’re going to have a wonderful mother-daughter weekend getaway in the big city. The weather is promising and my spirits are high.

My mom is really excited and has been sending me emails of places to visit in our short time there. Shannon has also been incredibly helpful in suggesting food (one of the things I’m most excited for) and tourist destinations.

Places to visit:

– Blossoms
– Ellen’s Stardust Diner
– Tasti-D’lites
– Lombardi’s
– Mission Chinese
– Momofuku Noodle Bar

Given that we basically only have 1.5 days to explore, it’s pretty obvious that we won’t get to visit all the places on my list, let alone eat at all the restaurants. That’s ok! Only more reason to go back and visit again, right? I won’t be blogging this weekend except for one recipe scheduled to post tomorrow (it’s a good one!), but you can expect a full recap of our adventure next week!

Where did you go on your last adventure?

Any last-minute NYC suggestions for me?

1. November 16, 2012 / 8:19 am

That is going to be so much fun and have a great trip friend!

• November 18, 2012 / 10:32 pm

Thanks! The trip was fantastic and now I’m basically madly in love with the city :/

2. November 16, 2012 / 9:22 am

I just booked tickets to NYC yesterday (for Dec!).

Definitely check out the little shops in Byrant Park – so fun. It’s right behind the NYC Public Library (the huge one sort of by Times Square). Go in the library too.

You need advance tickets to get in to the 911 Memorial – they are free online. Do you have those? Or maybe you don’t need them anymore?

Go down to Chinatown if you have time – lots of fun cheap scarves and bags! And the shoping on Broadway is fun!

I so wish I could do NYC with my mom! We want to! Have fun!

• November 18, 2012 / 10:37 pm

Ahh congrats on booking your trip! I’m officially in love with NYC and would return there weekly if I could (or just permanently live there :)). Bryant Park was beautiful! We didn’t make it to the library though because we ran out of time :/ The 911 Memorial website wasn’t selling tickets online this past weekend for some reason so we didn’t end up seeing the memorial (only from the outside). We only had one full day in the city so time was waaay too limited! At least I have a better idea of what/where to visit next time. Thanks for the suggestions! Looking forward to hearing about your trip as well!

3. November 16, 2012 / 9:56 am

Yay! so excited for you!!! You will have SO much fun! There are so many places I want to visit in NYC (thanks alot to the Food Network!!)…maybe I should just move there 😛

• November 18, 2012 / 10:38 pm

Omgosh my next trip to NYC (which will hopefully be longer) will involve much more food, if that’s even possible. The Food Network doesn’t get it wrong! And girl I’m totally with you on moving there…I’m already plotting my escape!

4. November 16, 2012 / 10:35 am

oh man enjoy it all! a short time for so much to do, make sure to hit up some of their famous themed restaurants.

• November 18, 2012 / 10:39 pm

I know…2 days was certainly not enough! I’m already looking forward to returning as soon as possible!

5. November 16, 2012 / 10:48 am

If you’re a fan of Project Runway, Parsons is close to Times Square. I also loved running through Central Park. It was on my bucket list.

• November 18, 2012 / 10:40 pm

Ugh so many places I wasn’t able to visit! Only more reason to visit again, right? 😉 Running through Central Park is also on my bucket list. It’s absolutely incredible there!

• November 18, 2012 / 10:40 pm

Thanks!! It ended way too quickly (doesn’t it always?)

6. November 16, 2012 / 1:53 pm

I hope you have an amazing trip, love! That’s so awesome that your mom will be joining you, and I can’t wait to see all the pics you take of your adventures 😀

• November 18, 2012 / 10:41 pm

Thanks girl! I tried to take a lot of photos but didn’t return with as many as I would’ve liked. Only more reason to return there asap…I’m in love with the city!

7. November 16, 2012 / 9:33 pm

OMG i forgot Carnegie is awesome! I love me some late night cheesecake!!! Have fun! Can’t wait for a recap!

• November 18, 2012 / 10:42 pm

We tried the cheesecake and my mom loved it (I’m not a cheesecake lover…who knows why)!!! Thanks for all your advice and suggestions, you were so very helpful!!

8. November 16, 2012 / 11:12 pm

Have a FANTASTIC trip!!! You and your mom are going to have a BLAST!!!!! I can’t wait to hear all the details when you get back! Oh, and don’t think about work AT ALL after you’ve left the office on Friday night. =)

• November 18, 2012 / 10:43 pm

Haha oh don’t you worry…I didn’t give work a second thought the moment I stepped out of the office 🙂