20 Health Questions

The other day the lovely Amanda posted this fun survey and I couldn’t resist taking it as well.

———————————————————————————————————–

1. What did you eat for breakfast?
This entire week I’ve been eating pumpkin spice buckwheat bakes for breakfast. I’m addicted I tell ya! I prepare and pre-mix most of the ingredients the night before so that early morning all I need to do is add in the wet ingredients, pop it into the microwave, and eat! So simple and so delicious.

2. How much water do you drink a day?
Hmm I’m not sure, but I would say somewhere around 8-10 8oz glasses a day. I have one 24oz water bottle that I drink through the day along with two or three 16oz cups of tea. Needless to say (and TMI), but I always have to pee.

3. What is your current favorite workout?
Running! I’ve hated working out my entire life until running entered the picture. I don’t work out, never have, and likely never will unless it has something to do with strengthening myself as a runner. The best part is that I refuse to look at running as a workout – it’s simply something that I do because I enjoy it.

4. How many calories do you eat a day?
Ummm…I have absolutely no idea. I couldn’t even give you an approximation! I tried calorie-counting once my freshman year in college for 3 months out of curiosity and it did a lot more harm than good. Long gone are the days that calories even enter my mind. After all, food isn’t a number!

5. What are your favorite healthy snacks?
Good question, but I don’t think it’s right to categorize food as healthy and unhealthy. What may be healthy to someone may not be healthy to someone else. And plus, what about all the foods that are deemed “unhealthy” (cakes, cupcakes, etc.) but are so so so good (and healthy!) for the soul? Our mental state of mind contributes to our health just as much as food and nutrition does. Anyway, if I were to choose something that most would consider healthy and it fits my standards of making me emotionally happy, I would probably choose the recovering runner’s rice crispy treats. I’ve been eating them like a mad woman daily and enjoying every bite!

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?
It depends whether I’m traveling or not. I typically bring my own lunch when I work downtown. My staples are quinoa or rice bowls, hardboiled eggs and tons of avocado as garnish, Portobello mushroom sandwiches, spaghetti squash dishes, and veggie stir-fry. To be perfectly honest, I’m getting tired of these meals and am in desperate need of a creative change!

7. What is your favorite body part to strength train?
Strength training, what’s that? No but seriously, someone please make me strength train because I know how beneficial it is to runners and I really want to become a better and faster runner.

8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train?
Well, considering that I hate all forms of pain associated with working out, I would probably say everything. With that said, I have no idea why I run and actually enjoy the activity as much as I do even when it causes me physical pain. Basically, I have no answer to this question because now I’m just confused…

9. What are your “bad” food cravings?
Please see #5. Bad, good, healthy, unhealthy – UGH! Come on now, these terms are all relative! Maybe I shouldn’t have started this survey…

10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?
Yes indeed! The list includes: actual fish oil (not pills), calcium, gummy bear vitamins, and probiotics (not pills but the actual live liquid).

11. How often do you eat out?
Again, that depends on whether I’m traveling or not. If I’m away for the work week I eat out daily. When working out of Chicago I limit my restaurant adventures to once a week, but that’s a loose estimate and varies from week to week depending on my mood and cravings.

12. Do you eat fast food?
Heck yes! Let’s be real here – there are some great food options that would technically fall under the “fast food” category. My most recent fast food favorite came in the form of a magical cream puff from Beard Papa’s. Sorry to break the news to all you Chicagoans, but the place just closed down this week. It’s devastating because these were indescribably delicious!

13. Who is your biggest supporter?
My mom is hands down my biggest fan and supporter. She willingly comes to most of my races no matter how big or small, she stands behind my decisions no matter how wild they are, and she loves me no matter how mean I can occasionally be. I am a lucky girl and forever grateful. Now that’s love ♥

14. Do you have a gym membership?
Yea right. Last time I had a gym membership was back in 2006 and I went about 5 times total. It was a waste of money and I’ll never buy one again. I told you, I don’t like working out!

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
Definitely not enough. I go to bed around 10:30PM on weekdays and wake up at 6AM, giving me about 7 hours of sleep. I suspect my ideal number is 8 hours, but I only achieve that on weekends. I will say this though: once upon a time while I was working at an internship I didn’t sleep enough and felt miserable every single damn day. I had no idea at the time that my depressive feelings were tied to the fact that I was only getting 5-6 hours of sleep a night (as well as the fact that I was in the wrong career but that’s beside the point). Lesson learned!

16. Do you have a “cheat” day?
Ugh come on guys! Again with the good and bad, cheat days and good days. Since when is eating so polarized? I guess there are days when I don’t eat enough wholesome foods and replace meals with desserts (story of my high school days), but everything balances out in the end if you do as your body tells you.

17. Do you drink alcohol?
*Giggle* I’m embarrassed to admit just how wild I used to be back in college. Please tell me you were as well? I went to a large state school, what do you expect?

18. Do you have a workout buddy?
Nope, it’s just me, myself and I! I actually enjoy my solo runs (see question #3) but as of last weekend Kelly and I ran together and I discovered just how much I loved running with a buddy! I’m thinking I need some sole (see what I did there?) sister bonding at least a few times per month – there are just too many benefits to running with others that I can’t pass up.

19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a healthy lifestyle?
It has made me more creative and simplistic. I am quickly learning how to bake different versions of things to suit all lifestyles (gluten-free, vegan, etc.) and create meals that are simple, wholesome, and filling. Most importantly, it has helped me discover my passions of cooking/baking and nutrition. Refrain from making any sexist jokes when I say that I feel most comfortable in the kitchen.

20. What was the last healthy thing you did?
I just ate a piece of minty chocolate.

——————————————————————————————————————

Your turn! Answer one or all of these questions. I’m always interested in learning more about you all!

1. November 29, 2012 / 9:26 am

I was definitely a party girl during college! I can still put ’em back every once in awhile but these days when I go out my maximum is 2-3.

I love running with a buddy too-if you ever want to run together let’s make a plan!

• December 2, 2012 / 10:04 pm

Ha my max is also 2-3 these days. One glass of wine even affects me these days…how I was ever able to down an entire bottle solo is beyond me.

And I would love to run with you! Just let me know where and when 🙂 You should come out on the 15th for the running bloggers holiday party as well!

2. November 29, 2012 / 9:50 am

I agree with you about food. Why is it so polarizing? Why are we so hung up on “good” vs “bad” food? I hate when people feel guilt or shame over their food. I know some people do have serious addiction issues when it comes to food, but for everyone else, if you want a cupcake … eat a cupcake. Stop having a relationship with your food and just enjoy it for what it is – nourishment, yes, but it also tastes good. It’s OK to eat something just because it tastes good, and you DON’T have to feel guilt or shame over it.

• December 2, 2012 / 10:08 pm

Yes! I couldn’t have said it better myself. Sometimes I still catch myself feeling guilty about eating something and then I realize the issue, brush it off, and move on. Life is difficult enough as is and we shouldn’t complicate it with food guilt. But then again, this is all easier said than done for many :/

3. November 29, 2012 / 9:57 am

I drank a lot before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I find that in the blogging world, it’s like “embarrassing” or no one drinks. WTF-we were all in college at one point, what is the big deal? LOL.

• December 2, 2012 / 10:10 pm

I agree – there is no shame in drinking…it’s all part of the college (and life!) experience. I’m just embarrassed because of how wild I was in college 🙂 But then again, I wouldn’t change it for anything! Best experience of my life.

4. November 29, 2012 / 11:01 am

great approach with healthy mindset, I just think the idea of healthy has been so skewed in our society.

• December 2, 2012 / 10:12 pm

It certainly is skewed in all aspects of society and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. I do see many tv shows/commercials/magazines attempting to promote a healthy relationship with oneself and it makes me so happy! Baby steps…

5. November 29, 2012 / 11:37 am

I partied a lot in college too and while I definitely can’t do that anymore (I’ve tried with horrible results), I’m not ashamed of it. I had fun, I engaged in college culture, and it’s part of who I am today!

I’m a lone runner for the most part but every so often it’s nice to run with a friend :).

• December 2, 2012 / 10:13 pm

My college experience was wild too and I wouldn’t take it back for anything! P.S. – it was great to finally meet you yesterday!

6. November 29, 2012 / 12:19 pm

Ekhm… GO STRENGTH TRAIN! GO NOW! do it, do it, do it! Hey you asked for it lol
    I love strength training 🙂 But yeah, this is an awesome survey and I am stealing it… tehehe

• December 2, 2012 / 10:15 pm

Haha thanks for the words of encouragement! I wish I lived by someone like you who would drag me out with them to strength train 🙂

7. November 29, 2012 / 9:35 pm

Cute and healthy! You seriously have one of the healthiest mindsets and blogs in the world of healthy living blogs girl!

• December 2, 2012 / 10:17 pm

Aw thanks girl! Although I will admit that my mindset isn’t perfect by any means! I still experience food guilt often, I’ve just learned to brush it off and move on with time.

8. November 30, 2012 / 1:57 pm

I love these quizzes, it’s always so interesting to learn these tidbits about fellow runners/bloggers! I am going to borrow this quiz for a forthcoming post on my own blog so thank you for the inspiration!!! I really appreciated your response to #5, by the way – SO TRUE about how we have differing opinions on what is healthy/unhealthy depending on how they fulfill us and that we shouldn’t categorize things on a black and white basis. Words to live by, not just with food, but with pretty much everything in life!

• December 2, 2012 / 10:19 pm

Absolutely! I think life is meant to be lived in shades of grey with the occasional crystal-clear black and white moments. It’s the healthiest approach to an otherwise unpredictable journey, right?

9. November 30, 2012 / 5:12 pm

You truly have a healthy view on life and food, Irina. It’s admiring and I hope I’ll see things the same way one day. There are points I already see the same way but others I still have to work on.

Don’t feel bad about not strength-training! I’m not into it at all, either, though I feel I should. Actually, I’d do it more often if I was able to take my favourite fitness class regularily. But apparently my class schedule doesn’t want me to.

• December 2, 2012 / 10:22 pm

Thank you 🙂 I find it silly that I actually have to try and work towards a healthy mentality, but once your mind is tarnished with any sort of food-related issues it’s difficult to clean it up (if that makes sense). My mind became tarnished back in college and I am only now getting back to this mentality! It takes time but you’ll get there I’m sure of it 🙂

10. November 30, 2012 / 7:41 pm

Thank you for catering to my inner nosy person and answering these questions 😀 I have no idea what it is, but there’s something so interesting about other people’s healthy habits. And I LOVE the last healthy thing you did… definitely a healthy habit to practice 😉

• December 2, 2012 / 10:23 pm

You are very welcome 🙂 I’m nosy too and love reading about people’s lives and daily habits.

11. December 3, 2012 / 9:03 am

I will be at the party on the 15th! Can’t wait to meet you!!!

• December 4, 2012 / 9:30 pm