Baby Shower

For the past month, Anya and I have been getting together at her house and slowly knocking out tasks on our to-do list. This was the first baby shower either of us have ever planned, let alone attended. Needless to say, Pinterest was our go-to for inspiration and ideas.

Anya and I spent an entire day putting together a diaper cake. If you’re not familiar with this, look here and prepare to be impressed. In true newbie form, Anya ended up buying the wrong diaper size – she snagged two boxes of newborn/1 month diapers instead of 6 month. Luckily, rolling up 170 tiny diapers was well-worth it and the resulting cake was beautiful.

diaper cake

We decorated it with fake flowers and sheer pink ribbons.

diaper cake

We also made many, many trips to Michael’s and the Dollar Store to snag the best deals on games, plastic pacifiers, and decorations.

The day prior to the baby shower, Anya and I got together and created our second beautiful creation of the month: a stunning (and huge!) balloon arch.

balloon arch

It took a while to blow up over 100 balloons (so.much.dizziness) and I had doubts that the arch wouldn’t shape properly, but the end result blew (no pun intended) everyone away. I still can’t believe we created this beauty!

The next day Anya and I arrived at Lena’s house 3 hours early to decorate and prepare the room for the 1PM party. Anya got busy designing beautiful creation #3 – a baby in a carriage fruit plate.

fruit baby

She gets full credit for this gorgeous display (original idea from Pinterest of course)! Gosh I have the most talented friends ever.

fruit baby

I finished up decorations and iced the red velvet cupcakes I baked the night before. Everything came together beautifully!

decorations

Friends and family started arriving at 1PM and we got the party started with mimosas and food.

food

food

Each lady also received a pacifier necklace:

pacifiers

After snacking on a plate full of cheese, chicken piroshkis, shrimp, and deli meats we moved on to games:

Baby Libs

(Baby Libs – the baby shower version of Mad Libs)

yarn game

yarn game

(Use yarn to guess the circumference of the pregnant mommy’s belly – we were all way off)

baby photo game

(Guess Who? with baby photos – can you see where I am?)

In between games we caught up with old friends, made new ones, and had a great time.

proud mama-to-be

me

Finally, it was time to open presents!

Lena received plenty of great items including a baby blanket…

presents

…and an adorable onesie line:

presents

By this point, people starting sneaking to the dessert table to grab a sugar fix:

dessert

I was really worried about how my cupcakes turned out (I used this recipe for the cupcakes and another for the cream cheese frosting) but everyone loved them!

dessert dessert

Aren’t they adorable? We bought the two cupcake stands from the dollar store and they fit perfectly with our theme.

Time ticked by and eventually people started departing…but not before we had a mini photoshoot!

proud mama-to-be

(the stunning mom-to-be…if only we could all look so gorgeous while pregnant!)

I was in charge of snapping photos of everyone. The lighting was horrible but we managed to capture some great memories with all those who attended. I’ll refrain from posting too many photos of the guests and the fiancée but I’ll share some lovely photos of my ladies and I.

ladies

The ladies:

ladies

The little lady is already so loved!

Anya and I, as the proud (and successful) hosts made sure to take some memorable photos as well:

hosts

(I adore her)

Given that this was our first baby shower, I’m proud to say that it was a complete success. Everything went smoothly, the food was fantastic (thanks to Lena’s mom), and there was never a dull moment. Hooray!

me

(I wore: sheer top from Zara, tweed skirt from Bebe, and Kate Spade nude heels)

We also purchased a scrapbook for Lena and had people sign with wishes for the baby prior to leaving.

baby shower

I can’t quite figure out yet how it feels to celebrate the upcoming birth of my first close pregnant friend. Of course, the most obvious and prevalent emotion is pure and utter happiness for Lena and her fiancée. I am so excited to meet their baby girl in a few weeks!! Seriously, the end of March can’t come soon enough.

baby

But I also can’t ignore the sneaky nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can’t explain the feeling but it seems to revolve around the fear that life is zooming by and the real world that I’ve worked so hard to accept for the past two years is only just beginning. Such celebrations of life really put things in perspective for me. As I sat across from the glowing mother-to-be, I couldn’t help but see how different our current places in life are. I mean, I honestly couldn’t be farther from engagement/pregnancy/stability…I’m as single as they get! It’s a scary thought but not one that significantly affects me. I’m happy with my current life and I know that my true friendships will remain grounded no matter where life takes me. All our lives are about to change along with Lena’s and we’re all so incredibly blessed to have one another in this crazy world.

1. February 28, 2013 / 10:53 am

Holy wow. You guys rock. This is the coolest baby shower ever. You went all out. What a great friend you are.

LOL! I love your friend’s high stylish bun (with the brown hair). You and your friends are so beautiful!

I have a lot of pregnant friends too, and it’s like “Wow, everyone is on a different path.” I am happy YOU are happy on yours 🙂

2. February 28, 2013 / 11:00 am

aw it looks like a blast. you really all made that day special for her

3. February 28, 2013 / 11:17 am

I love the melon baby! So impressive – looks like a really run shower! 🙂

4. February 28, 2013 / 11:41 am

If I ever am pregnant, I’m going to call you up to plan my baby shower. Ditto that if I ever get married, because I FOR SURE want you as a shower planner for any/all significant events in my life. This is absolutely beautiful! I’m SO impressed by everything you guys did, especially that balloon arch! You’re incredible!

I totally relate to that feeling of being in a different place in life, though. I went to five weddings last summer, all for people my age (except for one, which was for a couple a year younger than I am), and those are just the weddings I went to. It’s just unreal how many people I know that are engaged/married, all of which are within a year or two of my age (though the fact that I was raised in a culture of young marriage probably affects that). It can be tough to deal with sometimes, but like Kim said, we’re all on different paths, and that’s okay!

5. February 28, 2013 / 1:53 pm

Looks adorable!! I love the fruit baby carriage!

I’m 30 and have been married almost 6 years and I still feel weird when people my age (or younger) have an EXPECTED pregnancy. But my best friend had her first kid (unexpected) when we were 23, so I’ve had some time to adjust to my own friends having kids. Now she has two. And I’m sure when I got married at 24 it was weird for some of my friends. Heck, in hindsight, that just feels weird to me! 24! So young! Everyone’s on a different path.

6. February 28, 2013 / 7:19 pm

Wow, Lena has an awesome group of friends ;)!
    That baby carriage fruit bowl carving is AMAZING! And all that food…celebrations are nothing without food, haha.

7. February 28, 2013 / 7:53 pm

Wow! I’ve said it before and it bears repeating: I’m truly impressed by how much thought and effort you and Anya put into Lena’s party. She must have really felt showered with love on that day – and she totally has that pregnancy glow :). So, well, I already told you I’m expecting you to organize my baby shower should I ever be pregnant ;).

I can totally understand events like this make you look at your own life from another perspective. While I have to admit this can get me nervous I guess destiny just has a very own path of life planned for each of us. Mine obviously has to be different from persons around me because we’re all so different. I’m glad you’re happy with were you’re currently at and can trust in strong friendships. That’s what really counts.
    By the way: Your outfit is totally adorable!

8. February 28, 2013 / 9:00 pm

Alright, it’s decided…when I get pregnant, you’re planning my baby shower! Seriously. You could easily make a career out of event planning- everything looks unbelievable! Amazing job. (:

And can completely relate with you on feeling unsure about where you are in life- I’ve been dealing with the same thing recently. Two of my best friends are pregnant, 3 are married, and the rest are getting ready to “settle down” with the men in their lives. While I couldn’t be happier for them, I can’t help but feel awkward being single and still in the process of figuring my life out. But, I just keep reminding myself that everyone is different and where we are is perfectly okay!

9. February 28, 2013 / 10:08 pm

What an AMAZING shower!

Honestly, I feel you on that but the opposite! My husband and I are planning on starting to TRY for kids in about a year. Which is absolutely insane to me. A lot of my friends are still very single and I’m the old married one. Oh well, I like my path. 🙂

10. March 1, 2013 / 6:50 am

Your last paragraph sums up how I look at so many big moments like this. Isn’t it crazy how quickly things change for us in life and how each of us is on a path that is right for us? So this may have been your first baby shower but I would now like to hire you and Anya to plan mine in the far off future 😉

11. March 2, 2013 / 10:00 pm

It looks like you had a fun time at the baby shower!!