Frames From The Weekend 6/21/2013 – 6/23/2013

BLACKHAWKS WIN!!!!

Chicago pride right here…I couldn’t be happier to see this incredible team bring the Stanley Cup home yet again. Chicago pride for life!

Things are crazy over here on the East coast, thus the one day delay posting these frames from the weekend. Let’s just say that internet outages are no fun…

apartment signed!

{I officially signed the lease to my Manhattan bachelorette pad!!! Quite frankly, I’m shocked at how quickly everything went. I found the apartment on our second day here and ended up deciding on it 1.5 days later. Everything you’ve ever heard about apartment hunting in NYC is completely true – it’s pure hell! Move-in is scheduled for tomorrow and I couldn’t be more excited. The location is perfect and I’m absolutely obsessed with the area and the apartment itself.}

apartment shopping

{With the lease signed and keys handed over to me, my mom and I set out to shop for some basic living necessities. Clockwise from top left: new waffle maker (you think I could live without one?!?); a pretty new set of silverware; seafood-themed olive oil holder; a girly dish scrubber…flower power!; a thrifty bookend; an adorable ice cream holder from Anthropologie; new pots and pans; some shower necessities}

food

{Random New York eats: vegan cookies n’ cream ice cream from Sustainable NYC; one of the best meals I’ve had yet in NYC from Beyoglu; sushi bento box in Brooklyn Heights; a classic breakfast with Russian kasha (roasted buckwheat); a hearty greek salad; soup from The Soup Man (remember that Seinfeld episode?) }

explorer

{My mom headed back to Chicago on Saturday evening, leaving me all to my lonesome here in the big city. It was certainly a sad moment (tears may have been involved…) but I embraced my inner big girl and set out to explore my new home the following day. As much as I adore Chicago and always will consider it my home, New York is truly incomparable in so many aspects. The vibe, people, crowds, energy, sights, sounds, fast pace – I love it all! I literally spent 8 hours walking all over Manhattan and stopping by all the tempting stores. Why yes, that is a petting zoo smack-dab in the middle of the city. Only in New York?}

mom

{A HUGE shoutout goes to my incredible, amazing, lovely mom. Without her, I would probably still be apartment-less and in a state of panic. Thank you mom for being so helpful, patient, and determined…I love you!!! }

Chicagoans – how are you celebrating our amazing win?!?

1. June 25, 2013 / 11:01 am

Glad to hear things are going well! I lived in NYC for two years and no other city compares. We just missed each other cause I moved back to Toronto last year. Enjoy every moment of it and soak it in. On the other hand I certainly do not miss waiting in line for everything!!! Or finding an apartment for that matter lol. Congrats though lady 🙂

• July 1, 2013 / 10:22 am

I’m trying my best to soak it all in….I absolutely love this city!! Not gonna lie, I’ve already experienced waiting in plenty of lines for everything! But I’m still on my NYC high and love it all haha. Thanks!

2. June 25, 2013 / 11:10 am

Congrats on finding a place to live, and good luck with the actual move itself. Easily, easily, easily my least favorite thing EVER. I just despise the process of packing/unpacking.

I was, tragically, mere minutes away from going to bed when the Hawks won last night, so all of my celebrating was confined to my apartment (because win or no win, once my pajamas are on, they’re not coming off until I get up the next morning haha). I did very much enjoy hearing the fireworks, honking cars, and people in the street cheering, “BLACKHAWKS WIN!!” though. Definitely a cool night to be in Chicago.

• July 1, 2013 / 10:24 am

Thank you!! It was a hectic/exhausting/stressful process but I am truly lucky and grateful for where I am now. All of my things are back home in Chicago so unpacking was basically non-existant 🙂

The night of the Blackhawks win was one that I actually wanted to be back in Chicago for! Did you attend the parade? I’m sure it was wild.

3. June 25, 2013 / 11:27 am

COME ON! You have to tell us what hood you are in! I am dying to know!!!!

I wish I would have know to try out Sustainable NYC when I was there last! 🙂

• July 1, 2013 / 10:24 am

UES 🙂 I’m in LOVE!

4. June 25, 2013 / 11:14 pm

YAY! Congratulations on finding an apartment! I know how crazy that can be in a big city- LA was the same way. I can’t wait to see photos once you have it all decorated and adorable. (:

• July 1, 2013 / 10:25 am

Thank you! I heard that apartment hunting in LA is pretty wild too so good for you for managing as well 🙂

5. June 26, 2013 / 5:51 am

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating: Congratulations on finding a flat that fast! I’m so happy you didn’t have to hunt for one much longer because I know that anxious feeling. Not being able to find a flat for more than four weeks when I first moved to a new-to-me city was … unpleasant.
    It’s so sweet of your mum to have stood with you during your first times. What would we do without our mums’ support, right?! Can’t even imagine that.
    Fingers crossed for you to feel home in New York soon!

• July 1, 2013 / 10:28 am

Thank you thank you thank you! I honestly still can’t believe how quickly I found a place to live, but I’m not complaining 🙂 I can’t believe you had to go through hell for 4 weeks while searching! Sorry I can only imagine how horrible it was :/ Glad you’re all settled in now though.

New York already surprisingly feels like home. Lately, all I’ve been thinking is how it took me so long to realize that this city is perfect for me…at least at this point in my life. I do wish that my friends and family were closer to here though!

6. June 26, 2013 / 5:55 am

I bet your mom had so much fun moving you in but I am sure it was sad to say good bye because this move really is big for you and her! Your apartment looks really nice! Where is it in NYC? I am definitely coming up there sometime in the next year so we will have to get together 😉 ps what shoe store is that???

• July 1, 2013 / 10:30 am

Haha I don’t know if “fun” would be the word to use…she was just as stressed and exhausted as I was with the entire apartment-hunting adventure! She did enjoy her last few days here though after the lease was finally signed. I can’t wait for her to visit so I can actually show her a great time! The apt is in the UES and that shoe store is DSW! Please do let me know when you visit 🙂

7. June 26, 2013 / 9:40 pm

Glad to see you found a place so quickly! I can only imagine how aggravating apartment hunting can be! That vegan ice cream looks so tasty :)!

• July 1, 2013 / 10:31 am

Oh it was pure hell but I’m just glad it’s over 🙂