First {NYC} Snowfall

I knew it would come soon enough but I didn’t expect it this month. When fellow Chicagoans bombarded my Facebook feed with complaints and photos of snowfall, I’ll admit I experienced a bit of envy. And then yesterday morning came and upon checking the New York weather report prior to my run, I saw it…it was going to snow for the one hour I would be out running! Fate? I think so!

first snowfall

I dusted out my winter running gear, threw on a hat, and ran straight to Central Park. It was fabulous! (remind me to re-read that last sentence a few weeks from now when the snow really hits hard…) I can’t think of a better way to greet my first New York snowfall than with a run through my favorite part of the city. It made the entire experience so special and memorable.

The one part of the run that was nowhere near fabulous though was a sudden achy pain in my left foot and right knee. I couldn’t figure out if these were just the after-effects from this past weekend’s tough long run, but the pains felt oddly similar to those that pop up when it’s time for shoe retirement. I don’t keep track of the miles on my shoes (fail I know) and I honestly don’t think there are more than 200 miles on them. But rumor has it that the Brooks Pure Project line lasts only 200-300 miles.

So this happened last night as an obvious result:

running gear

The New York Running Company store on the Upper East Side is closing and everything is on sale. My heart was seriously pounding from the heaven I was transported to upon stepping inside. I finally caved and bought the Brooks PureCadence 2’s…how could I not when they were only $60 (50% off)?!? I’m thinking of returning to the store and buying another pair of these.

PureCadence

(PureCadence 1’s on the left and PureCadence 2’s on the right)

That’s basically a buy-one-get-one free deal! I also bought some Brooks winter running gloves, CEP Compression sleeves (only $28!), and magnets. Such a glorious night of shopping!

On the way back I stopped by the fruit cart on the corner of my building and the nice man slipped in a free banana with my pom purchase. So nice!

fruits

Sometimes even something as small as a free 25-cent banana makes me happy. It’s the little things in life…like being friends with your local fruit vendors.

And finally, the crock-pot came out again along with the looming start of winter. This time around I made a simple black bean sweet potato “chili”, although chili isn’t the best way to describe it considering I had absolutely no chili powder to add. It was more like a “throw everything in my fridge into the crock-pot and hope for the best” experiment gone right.

chili

(delicious but so ugly in photos)

Regardless, it tasted great and made my apartment smell like joy all afternoon. I ended up freezing half of the chili in glass jars to whip out on a dreary winter day.

With that, I’m off to be a real working woman for once. That’s right, I’m actually spending the day working outside of my apartment in our New York office! The real world and I will be reunited once again.

P.S. – in case you haven’t read enough about running yet, check out my Run Chat post from yesterday!

What are some of your favorite crock-pot recipes?

What’s the best deal you’ve gotten on running gear? Any website or store recommendations?

How dedicated are you to your running shoe brand?

1. November 13, 2013 / 12:53 pm

Mmm love me some chili. I haven’t made any yet this season, but MAN am I excited to (once I have some more freezer space to store the leftovers!). Chili and cornbread is one of my absolute favorite winter meals.

I’m actually not dedicated to running shoe brands at all! In my two years + change as a runner, I’ve been in New Balance, Brooks, Mizunos, Asics…haha. New Balance and Asics have been the best to me (for the most part) up to this point, but I’m still on a quest to find The Perfect Shoe: neutral, wonderfully cushioned, and does not cause hideous blisters on my poor toes!

• November 16, 2013 / 10:09 am

Cornbread!! I really wanted to make some to go along with the chili but didn’t get around to it. I’m thinking this weekend sounds like a good time to make it, but my freezer is slowly starting to get crowded too 🙁 I guess we’re all stocking up for the winter? Ha

You’re so brave to try new shoes! I feel like I’m overly sensitive to the slight changes in different shoes and always get paranoid to venture out of that “safe” zone. But it’s so important to do so! I need to take example from you…

2. November 13, 2013 / 1:27 pm

My crockpot has been my best friend over the past few months! I love making quinoa/veggie dishes in there- cooking quinoa in the crockpot infuses it with so much flavor! I definitely need to try a chili next.

I’m not loyal to any one shoe brand when it comes to running but I have loved my Asics that I bought recently. They’re really, really comfortable and give my high arches a ton of support. Awesome deal on the ones you got!

• November 16, 2013 / 10:11 am

Oooh quinoa in the crock-pot sounds like such a great idea!! You should share some of your recipes for inspiration 🙂

Glad to hear you’re still out running 🙂 I hope everything is slowly starting to get back to normal in your life! *Hugs*

3. November 13, 2013 / 2:19 pm

Yay for new running shoes! I always say that there is nothing that motivates me more to go out for a run than to give new shoes their inaugural spin! Can’t wait to hear how you like them compared to the originals. So nice of that man to give you the extra fruit, too! That totally would have made my day. =)

• November 16, 2013 / 10:14 am

Agreed! I also get really excited to run in new shoes because the difference is usually noticeable! I ran in them on Thursday and most of my random aches/pains seemed to go away for the most part. The lacing on the PureCadence 2’s is so much better that on the originals but I almost suspect that they are a tiny bit less cushioned than the originals. Not sure…I have my long run scheduled for tomorrow so I’ll have a better idea of how they hold up then!

4. November 13, 2013 / 5:09 pm

Yay for your first snowfall! 🙂 And deals on running gear! I am an Asics girl 🙂

• November 16, 2013 / 10:15 am

I’m willing to try Asics just for the sake of adding variety to my running shoe collection! Do they make any neutral (“minimalist” but not really because they have a bit of cushioning) shoes? I need to do my research…

5. November 15, 2013 / 3:13 pm

That’s unfortunate about the store closing but what a great deal on the Brooks! It’s such a pretty color too!

I actually remembered to keep track of the mileage on my pair of Brooks. I’m reaching the 100 mile point on them, even though I try to use them for only races/important workouts.

• November 16, 2013 / 10:22 am

Yea I was bummed about the store closing too but then I realized that I had another running store 1.5 blocks away from me! Totally missed that somehow…thanks Google Maps for failing me!

You’ve inspired me to keep track of my miles on the shoes now, so thank you 🙂 I’m really curious to see how long they last because I swear at 150 miles they’re done! What Brooks do you run in?

• November 18, 2013 / 3:44 pm

I run in the PureFlow 2’s. I really like them 😀

• November 20, 2013 / 4:01 pm

Oooh those are really nice! A bit less padding and support than the PureCadence, right? I really want to try them but am worried that I won’t have enough support.

• November 22, 2013 / 2:40 pm

They don’t have too much padding, but I felt so much faster when I ran my first miles in them. I feel like I have to space out the days when I wear them though so they don’t break down too quickly…