Frames From The Weekend 1/1/2014 – 1/5/2014

Hello again everyone! I guess I haven’t had the most epic start to my blogging year, but I promise that this little old blog of mine will not go neglected in 2014. With my friend’s five-day stay followed by my immediate travel to Chicago (where it currently feels like the North Pole), things have been busy around these parts. Let’s just consider this the frames from my extended weekend which started on January 1st!

FFTW

(Link up to ‘Frames From The Weekend’! Read the official “rules” here.)

NYE

{Our NYE was spent at a friend’s apartment. We fully intended to go out after midnight but the night just didn’t end up moving in that direction. No complaints though at all…we had a great time!}

January 1st

{I’m a firm believer that the way January 1st is spent sets the tone for the rest of the year. If this day was any indication, then 2014 looks quite promising! Xtina and I welcomed in the new year with a healthy breakfast featuring eggs, cheese, spinach, and avocado over toast. Despite being exhausted, I snuck in my inaugural 1 miler (my mantra: “I can always run 1 mile”), which was a full minute faster than my mile last Jan. 1st. I also started writing in my 5-year memory book at last…I’ve been waiting for months! Given the long and sleepless night prior, we opted out of going out at night and stayed in with popcorn and a movie instead. Perfect start to the year in my opinion!}

exploring

{The following day we felt touristy and ventured out to Grand Central Station for some fun photographs followed by a quick lunch at Le Pain Quotidien and a trip to the bookstore. I got sucked into ‘Born to Run‘ for a few hours and ended up purchasing it. After an amazing sushi dinner at Haru, Xtina and I met up with some friends at Death & Co. in the evening, a popular speakeasy in the East Village.}

snow day

{My first New York City blizzard! In case it wasn’t obvious already, I couldn’t get enough of Central Park in the after-effects of the blizzard and spent a few hours walking around among the beauty. This was definitely one of those ‘I feel so lucky to live here’ moments! The snow kept us feeling cold and lazy so we mustered up all the energy we had left and went to see ‘American Hustle’ in the evening. I *think* I liked the movie (?) }

night out

{Saturday’s schedule started with brunch at Beaumarchais where we sipped on champagne (well, I did at least) while eating frittatas. We couldn’t resist dessert afterwards and dove into Pinkberry for some chilly chocolate-topped froyo. My champagne headache wore off in time to start our last night out. We slipped into our boots and dresses, fixed up our make-up, and headed to the West Village. The night was a bit wild but lots of fun!}

I’m flying back to New York tomorrow evening and crossing my fingers (and frozen toes) that there are no weather delays. Overall, it’s been a pretty good week – I got to work from home for the past two days, met up with bestie Anya last night, and celebrated Russian Orthodox Christmas with a home-cooked dinner tonight with my parents.

*Running Update:
However, I did receive some bad running-related news yesterday. For the past 1.5 weeks I’ve been experiencing some odd pains in my right shin, and I stopped running after my last run on January 1st. The doc took some X-rays and noticed new bone growth in the area of the pain, signaling the possibility of a stress fracture. After further discussion I explained how the pain didn’t worsen with running, which he found inconsistent, so at this point my diagnosis is some sort of stress reaction. And no running for four weeks! Of course I’m absolutely bummed but I suspected this was coming and mentally prepped for the news in advance.

Plus, I’m looking at the positives here:
1.) January isn’t the worst month to take off running (snow, negative temps, and wind won’t be missed)
2.) I have a gym membership and plan to milk it dry with cross-training
3.) The pain/injury was caught early and the recovery time is fairly short in the grand scheme of things
4.) I already took one week off…only three more to go!
5.) January is already a super busy month as-is, so hopefully I won’t have time to miss running too much

Anyway, I’ll talk more about this in the future but for now it is what it is. The initial shock wore off and running withdrawal is slowly coming on, but I’m accepting it to the best of my abilities. Here’s to optimism and a great week!

How did you welcome in the new year?

Have you ever dealt with a running injury?

1. January 8, 2014 / 10:43 am

I hope you have a good flight back! Things are starting to warm up so I hope that helps.

And good perspective on that four weeks off! I bet it will fly by with all you have going on and trying out fun cross training stuff at your gym!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:32 pm

Thanks! It’s certainly a bummer and I’m really missing running but it’s making me at least attempt to visit the gym more… Everything happens for a reason!

2. January 8, 2014 / 12:48 pm

Aw man, bummer about your shins! Way to be smart, though. It’s can be really tough to both admit that you probably need to go to the doctor and to take time off something you love, but it sounds like you’re really taking things in stride. Safe travels!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:42 pm

Thanks! It’s still hard to accept it all because my shins feel fine now, but I know I need to be smart if I want to run in the near future. Whyyy is it so hard though? I think about running at least 10-15 times a day, it’s sad 🙁

3. January 8, 2014 / 3:41 pm

It seems like you welcomed in 2014 quite warmly, despite the obviously cold temperatures :)!

You also have a good attitude about taking the necessary time off from running. It will pay off in the long run.

• January 12, 2014 / 9:43 pm

Thanks, I hope so! Not running has been more challenging than I expected it to be 🙁 Anyway, happy 2014!

4. January 8, 2014 / 8:53 pm

I was injured all this year! It definitely taught me a lot but now I’m itching to get better and back out there.

• January 12, 2014 / 9:45 pm

You’ve been doing so great though with other sorts of exercise (like Flywheel) and that’s amazing! I wish I had your motivation when it comes to trying new exercises and classes…I’m so hooked on running and running only that it’s all I really want to do. I guess I have no choice now 🙁

5. January 9, 2014 / 7:40 pm

Aww…way to look at the positive side of things when it comes to running! Cross-training and taking the coldest month of the year off may actually benefit you more in the long-run. Being sick forced me to take 4 COMPLETE rest days this week…like, I barely made it out of bed…It was rough. But I know my body needed it. I’ve been pushing myself pretty hard lately and, while I loved it, I needed to give myself a break. And now I can come back stronger and healthier than ever!

And you looked absolutely gorgeous on NYE- as usual!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:48 pm

I hope so! And girl, I took 7 full days off after my last “exercise” (my 1 miler) on January 1st. Just because. No shame, sometimes we need it! I’m glad you listened to your body and stayed in bed, hope you’re feeling at 100% now!

Thanks for the uplifting comment 🙂

6. January 12, 2014 / 8:50 pm

Irina! That purple dress you wore on NYE is GORGEOUS!!! So sorry to hear about the running injury but you have such a positive outlook on it. I am really proud of you for how you are handling it. I think you’ll really enjoy the new fitness opportunities that your new gym gives you. I’ve actually grown to love cross-training for how it makes me feel more balanced as a runner – and I know you will, too!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:52 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I was actually super self-conscious in the dress because I typically avoid such form-fitting clothing but my mom convinced me to bare it all 🙂 And I’m glad I did! I’m happy to hear that you’ve grown to love cross-training, it gives me hope. I think I’m *slowly* starting to enjoy feeling that exercise burn in places that running doesn’t impact…baby steps right?

P.S – HAPPY 2014!!! Better late than never 🙂