Frames From The Weekend 2/7/2014 – 2/9/2014

Privet! I’m in a jolly Russian-esque mood thanks to the Winter Olympics. In full disclosure – my eyes have been glued to the T.V. all weekend. This newly-installed cable in my apartment is both a blessing and a curse!

FFTW Winter

(Link up to ‘Frames From The Weekend’! Read the official “rules” here.)

food

{Fun food products: * chia seeds * sleepy time tea with Valerian by Traditional Medicinals (they make the best teas!) * organic almond butter * kumquats! * a drawer full of fruits…my current craving * }

cooking

{Of course I have to share some fun meals from the weekend! I’ve been craving carrots lately, and it’s gotten so extreme that I started buying those 4lb. bags of organic carrots. I’m slowly turning orange, but at least I don’t look as pale? This past weekend I roasted up the carrots (and cauliflower florets) for a fun twist. I also made some raspberry chocolates to satisfy a sugar craving. And you better believe I made more chocolate chia pudding! My two cooking/baking experiments over the weekend were one-pot whole wheat pasta and vegan plantain almond butter oatmeal cookies.}

running

{Sooo remember those Mizuno Wave Riders I bought last weekend? I gave them a whirl on the treadmill and absolutely hated them! #sorry…they completely tore apart my shins. I’m pretty sure the high 11mm offset was to blame – I’m used to a 4-6mm offset and my legs immediately felt the difference. I ended up exchanging them for the Saucony Cortana 3, but yikes were these shoes expensive! I tried them out on the treadmill last night and I’m in love. I just hope they feel equally great when running longer distances outdoors! My new foam roller finally came as well and I’ve been using it non-stop while watching the Olympics.}

I’m bracing for another busy workweek but I’ll be back in Chicago again in a few days! That’s right, I’m actually looking forward to flying back this time around…homesickness unexpectedly snuck up on me last week and a Chi-city visit is the only cure.

Who else thinks running shoes are insanely expensive?

Do you rotate between different running shoes? If so, how many?

Have you been keeping up with the Olympics?

1. February 10, 2014 / 10:28 am

Your baking experiments all look like they turned out amazing! It’s good you got a pair that worked out for you in the end, even though it was pricier.

• February 11, 2014 / 10:42 pm

Thanks! The cookies weren’t anything special though, but I did add coffee to them and proceeded to eat three before bed. Of course I couldn’t fall asleep for hours!

2. February 10, 2014 / 4:10 pm

I am happy you found a shoe that worked better! $150 is a lot. I have been buying the old version of my shoe around $55. A bad habit!

Have a good trip to Chicago!

• February 11, 2014 / 10:46 pm

$150 is probably the most I’ve spent on shoes…I honestly can’t think of anything that even comes close to that price with the exception of my winter/leather boots. Crazy!!! My lack of patience got the best of me and I wanted the shoes right.away, but if I love them I’ll probably stalk them down on cheaper websites.

3. February 10, 2014 / 10:33 pm

What a bummer to hear that the Wave Riders didn’t work out for you, but I am glad that you love the Sauconys! They are such a gorgeous shade of blue, too. Yes, it is INSANE how expensive running shoes can be. My usual tactic is to get fitted at the running store, then buy subsequent pairs from Running Warehouse or other online stores where they are usually cheaper.

Yay for the new foam roller! I have the same one in orange and it’s such a great investment. I spend a lot of time foam rolling in front of the TV, too. =)

Gorgeous food pictures, as always!!! Especially the homemade chocolate!!!

• February 11, 2014 / 11:00 pm

Yea I had really high hopes for the Wave Riders but I seriously felt like I was running in heels with them! I’m just not used to the drop. I tend to do the same thing once I fall in love with a shoe…I stalk it down on cheaper websites and stock up!

I wish I knew about this amazing foam roller earlier! I’ve been buying cheaper rollers that don’t stay firm for long, and those costs add up.