Perks of Taking Time off from Running

Running and I have been on a break from one another for six days. I’m not sure how running feels, but I miss it with every muscle in my body. But my left shin selfishly had other plans and decided to protest with a horrible case of shin splints. It’s been tough but the week is luckily flying by and I’m planning to try running again tomorrow. Meanwhile, I decided to put together a list of perks that come with not running (yes, some perks do exist!). This is me trying to be an optimist and look on the bright side of things!

Perks of taking time off from running:

»> sleeping in

»> decreased appetite = smaller grocery bill!

»> less sweaty laundry

»> no need for multiple showers

»> drinking extra cups of coffee because you don’t need to worry about going to sleep early

»> no painful warmups in the cold and/or dark

»> nagging aches and pains actually have time to heal

»> the return of a social life on weeknights & weekends

»> saving those few minutes before bed by not having to lay out running gear based on all potential weather reports

»> not obsessively checking the weather

winter

Anything I might have missed? Share your perks!

1. November 14, 2014 / 9:54 am

This week hasnt been my best for running so far, but I hope to make up for that this weekend. I blame it on being to tired from the rigors of my weekday routine ;P

• November 17, 2014 / 10:16 am

Hey, at least you’re running! Even once a week is better than not at all 🙂 Don’t worry too much about it…it’s still early in your training!

2. November 14, 2014 / 4:01 pm

I think my favorite thing about not running for this past month has been being able to sleep in on Saturdays! That, and the flexibility it offered my workout schedule. I don’t think I would’ve taken nearly as much advantage of ClassPass if I had been running (or I would have, and would have run myself totally into the ground by running AND taking a bunch of fitness classes). That being said, I’m very ready to (hopefully!) lace up my running shoes again this weekend 🙂

• November 17, 2014 / 10:17 am

I hope you ran this past weekend and it went well! Next time I will follow in your footsteps and take a full month off after a marathon haha.

3. November 15, 2014 / 4:23 am

Every time I have to skip a run I long for it like crazy, too. I happen to have to today as my mum is coming to visit me in a little while but spending time with her will be another perk for me. Generally, being more relaxed and going with the flow rather than planning the days around runs would be a perk. Still missing them.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for your run today!

• November 17, 2014 / 10:19 am

You always want what you can’t have, right?! I’m the same way…I remember when I had to take a full month off from running, and it ended up being all that I could think about every single day. Same situation again. Sadly, the run didn’t go well and I ‘m planning on taking yet another week off from running 🙁