2015 Boomer’s Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe (4 Mile) Run Recap

The 2015 Boomer’s Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe 4 miler was held on Saturday, July 18th in none other than my beloved Central Park! The weather did not look promising, and for once the weather app actually accurately predicted a crazy thunderstorm.

But let’s back up – as usual, I started my morning early with toast + peanut butter with a ton of coffee. After much debate the night prior on how to complete 8 miles for the day, I decided on the following plan: 2 warmup miles, 4 mile race, 2 mile cool-down.

Boomer's Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe

My 2 miler went well but I set out for Central Park a bit late afterwards and barely had enough time to hit up the port-a-potties before the race start.

Boomer's Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe

This race recap won’t be like my usual organized outline of the run. Long story short, it started pouring halfway through and the race was eventually stopped. But at least it started off well! I definitely felt the humidity from the moment we started running (I hate hate hate humidity) but pushed through with a decent pace. It started drizzling around the 2 mile mark…and then came the downpour. Thank goodness I put my iPhone into a plastic baggie because it would’ve completely died!  Seriously, I felt like I was taking a shower. The downpour was soon accompanied by thunder and lightning, and it was around this point that I knew the race would be shut down. I sped up and luckily crossed the finish line before the organizers called it quits and began evacuating Central Park for obvious safety reasons.

Boomer's Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe

Final Time: 38:15 (9:34 min/mile pace)
Place: 2931 / 4874
Age Division (F, 25-29): 301 / 550

It was still pouring when I finished, but I was on the west side of the park and needed to get home. I could’ve taken a shortcut home but decided to take the long route to try and sneak in a final 2 miles for a grand total of 8 miles for the day. The race organizers were still evacuating Central Park and I probably should’ve obeyed, but what can I say…runners are stubborn!

Of course, it stopped raining as soon as I finished my 2 miles. And guess what, the Obamas took a walk in Central Park as soon as the rain stopped…exactly where I had just run 15 minutes prior! Grrr I’m so mad I missed them. Overall, it was an interesting and fun morning!

Pros:
• Race course – I say this every single time, but I love running in Central Park, especially when the main road is closed to everyone except for the race runners.
• Water stations – There were three water stations, which is so appreciated in the summer months even for a short race!
• Cost – Many of the NYRR races are incredibly cheap…I paid only $18!

Cons:
• I can’t quite think of any major cons except for the race being shut down early due to weather, but you can’t hold that against the race organizers! Nature has her own agenda…

This is not necessarily a race I will strive to run next year, but it’s a great way to sneak in a short and fast training run for a low price.

1. August 24, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Whoa! I am happy you got to finish before the race was canceled! That would have been cool to see the Obamas! 🙂

• August 24, 2015 / 10:28 pm

I know right! Since this was a 9+1 qualifier, NYRR still gave the race credit to everyone who started the race even if they didn’t have the chance to finish!

P.S. – Thanks for the explanation about my skewed Garmin times a few weeks ago. I’ve been a horrible blogger lately, especially when replying to comments, but your explanation totally cleared things up for me. You would think that someone who likes math as much as I do would’ve realized this sooner 😛

2. August 24, 2015 / 1:46 pm

HOLD ON. You paid $18 for that race???? How?!?! What kind of magical runner’s wonderland is New York?? With how expensive the marathon is, I would’ve assumed all NYC races (or at least all NYRR races) were $$$$$, but obviously that’s not the case. I can’t even imagine having a race that cheap in Chicago!

• August 24, 2015 / 10:31 pm

I know right?!? Actually, almost all of the smaller NYRR races start around $18 and then increase to about $25. Of course the larger races are much pricier, but I think they make these smaller races much cheaper since many people run them as 9+1 NYRR qualifiers!

3. August 24, 2015 / 4:24 pm

Great job and way to push through the rain during both the race and your “cool-down” afterwards!!! I am with Bethany – I can’t believe you only paid $18 for registration. Who knew that races were so affordable in NYC!?!?!?

• August 24, 2015 / 10:34 pm

Yesss they’re super cheap! At least the smaller races are, mainly because many people run them as 9+1 NYRR qualifiers. I suspect that, if they were pricier, very few people would actually attempt the 9+1 challenge In case you’re not familiar with what that is, basically you need to run 9 qualifying races and volunteer at one event and then, upon completion, you are guaranteed entry into the following year’s NYC Marathon!

4. August 24, 2015 / 10:35 pm

What a great price for the race! Ick—I hate running in humid weather. Just as bad as running through a rainstorm.

Hope you’re doing well girl 🙂 !

• August 25, 2015 / 12:00 am

Totally agreed, I’ve discovered that I’m super sensitive to humidity. It gets to the point where I sometimes even have a bit of heart pain from the strain on my body! Nothing serious I swear…sensitive hearts (literally 😛 ) run in my family lol.

I’m doing ok…my leg is a disaster (AKA no shorts/dresses/skirts for me for a while…perfect timing right?) but it seems to be getting better. Thanks for asking, I’m still wishing things turned out differently 🙁